overcast, rain
Fr 25.9.
Sa 26.9.
Su 27.9.

České Budějovice town tour
- Around the Square of Přemysl Otakar II

Now we can walk along U Černé věže Street until we reach the northern edge of the old town.

Wortner‘s House

Close to the department store, on the right, we will pass by another ostentatious burgher house. This is the Wortner‘s House, named after its 19th century owner, but its Renaissance origins date back to the 16th century. The house attics are finished with a battlement with spires in the corners.

U Černé věže Street gradually leads us to the Mill Channel, which is (probably) a manmade moat built to protect the town from the east and north. Crossing the bridge will take us to the town park. But now we will return and walk along narrow Hradební Street to the right. Hradební Street will lead us to Krajinská Street.

Zátka‘s House

At the very beginning of Krajinská Street we can‘t miss the ostentatious Zátka‘s House, which contains a hotel of the same name - Zátkův dům. The house was created by means of a Renaissance reconstruction of several originally Gothic houses, which used to form an important part of the town walls. In the interior we can find a Gothic wall painting dating to the early 16th century, which is one of the most preserved wall paintings in the town. A significant businessman and politician of České Budějovice called JUDr. August Zátka was born in this house in 1847.

But there are plenty of other interesting houses in Krajinská Street: Modern architecture can be seen in the functionalist Haišman‘s House, cubism in House No. 37, and Renaissance in House No. 41.

Masné krámy (meat store)

The renowned Masné krámy alehouse is situated directly in a historic building in the centre of České Budějovice., photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Krajinská Street, which is lined with houses that mostly have a classicist facade, leads us to another famous sight: the building of the former České Budějovice: the building of the former meat store. This house with a Renaissance rear gable and a basilica-like layout (it consists of three “naves“ out of which the middle one is the tallest and has small windows) was built in the second half of the 16th century and butchers‘ shops were moved there. Meat was sold here until the end of the 19th century. There were calls to demolish it after World War II, but in 1953 a restaurant called Masné krámy was opened here and soon became one of the town‘s symbols. It is especially popular with lovers of Budvar, the town‘s famous beer.

On the opposite side, on the corner of Krajinská Street and Hroznová Street, there is an impressive building, or rather a palace built from 1912 to 1913 in Art Nouveau Style for the needs of the town building society. Today it is the headquarters of Komerční banka. Its lavishly decorated interior is worth a look.