overcast, rain
Fr 25.9.
15/17°
overcast
Sa 26.9.
7/8°
overcast
Su 27.9.
8/10°

České Budějovice town tour - Church of St. Nicholas

Heading around the corner formed by the Česká spořitelna building, we find ourselves near the most dominant feature and the symbol of České Budějovice, the Black Tower. But let‘s first take a look at the cathedral Church of St. Nicholas.

Church of St. Nicholas

České Budějovice - Interior of the Church of St. Nicholas, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.The Church of St. Nicholas stands at the place where a late 13th century Gothic temple once stood, which was reconstructed in the 16th century, but destroyed by the great fire of 1641. A new Baroque cathedral was completed in 1649; however, the construction was accompanied by many difficulties. Later it even had to be repaired due to unsatisfactory structural parameters. The last reconstruction took place in 1912. The Church of St. Nicholas has three naves; the side naves include Baroque chapels. The main altar was created in 1791 and most of the interior equipment dates to the 18th century. Near the church there used to be a town vcemetery, where people were buried since the 13th century. It was shut down in 1784 by Joseph II.

Chapel of Mortal Agony

České Budějovice - The Chapel of Mortal Agony, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.The Chapel of Mortal Agony stands by the church or rather just behind its presbytery (choir). It was built from 1727 to 1731, but was shut down in 1785. Bishop Jan Valerián Jirsík (1798-1883) had it restored. A bronze statue representing Jirsík by J. V. Myslbek (the only work by Myslbek in South Bohemia) stands by the foot of the Black Tower. Under the chapel there is a charnel-house, which was walled up.