overcast
Fr 15.11.
3/11°
cloudy
Sa 16.11.
8/11°
overcast
Su 17.11.
6/13°

České Budějovice town tour
- Sights outside the historic center

The tour of the inner town, the part of Česke Budějovice that was once hidden behind an impregnable ring of walls, is now over. However, other quarters hide many interesting sights that should not be missed on a visit to the capital of South Bohemia.

Long Bridge

Continuing along Hus Avenue, we arrive at the spot where you can cross the Vltava over the Long Bridge. The first mention of this bridge dates back to 1369, but its current appearance was created in 1998. The bridge is 94 metres long. Its strain- -reducing oval openings in thin steel walls on which the bridge hangs are very impressive.

Lanna‘s Dock

České Budějovice - Passenger river transportation, restored in Česke Budějovice on the Vltava River in 2011, has a famous history, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.On the right behind the bridge, on the left bank of the river, you can see the former Lanna‘s Dock dating back to the middle of the 16th century. Today this place is being revived thanks to ship transportation in connection with making the Vltava navigable. During the season ships depart every day from the Lanna‘s Port under the Long Bridge. During the cruise you can enjoy a unique view of České Budějovice. Sail through a lock in České Vrbné and gaze at Hluboká Chateau from the Vltava River.

Passenger river transportation, restored in Česke Budějovice on the Vltava River in 2011, has a famous history. It is connected with the shipping masters of the Lanna family and contemporaries may be surprised by the remarkable volume of transportation at that time. In the middle of the 19th century up to 760 ships were dispatched to Prague during a single year and in some cases even to Děčín or Germany. Their cargo was interesting too. It consisted mainly of salt, corn, graphite, gypsum, wooden boards and merchant goods.

Jirásek‘s Weir

Gazing from the Long Bridge up the river, we can see the massive Jirásek‘s Weir, which was built in 1932. It raises the surface of the Vltava by nearly 5 metres and involves a hydro electric plant. Jirásek‘s Weir is not named after writer Alois Jirásek, as many people erroneously believe. It was named after another personality with the same initials. This was Ing. Antonín Jirásek, the Weir‘s building councillor and architect.

Sokolský Island

České Budějovice - A swimming stadium on Sokolský Island, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.If we stay on the right bank of the Vltava, we can take one of the streets that are perpendicular to Hus Avenue and enter Sokolský (Falcon) Island. In the past it was called Schnarcher‘s or Dominican (it was gifted the Dominicans in 1265 when České Budějovice was founded). The island achieved its final shape as late as 1928- 1931 during regulation of the Vltava. On the island we can find a swimming and athletic stadium, tennis courts, and a Sokol Gymnasium. You should definitely see the building of the indoor pool of 1971, an extraordinarily advanced construction for its time. Sokolský Island is also a great place for strolls and relaxation, thanks to its location in a pleasant environment outside the busy centre.

Lanna´s Avenue

České Budějovice - ČSOB building in Lanna‘s Avenue, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Today it is a pedestrian zone and one of the town‘s main shopping areas. It has connected the railway station (Nádražní Street) with the centre of České Budějovice since the beginning of the 20th century. It was originally called the Old Road and until 1989 the Street of Marshal Malinovsky. It is lined with houses built in the Art Nouveau style. The building of the Prior Department Store dating to 1976-1979 stands out in particular. Many original houses in this street were destroyed during bombing at the end of World War II. At the end of the 20th century several modern constructions grew here (such as the building of Jihočeská Energetika, and the ČSOB building).

railway station in České Budějovice

The railway station was built along with the construction of the railway connection with Pilsen. The station was opened in 1868, but eventually failed to cope with the increasing volume of transportation, so a new station for passenger transportation was built. It was opened in 1908, including a new station building, which was built in the New-Renaissance style with Art Nouveau elements.