cloudy
Sa 6.6.
13/18°
overcast, rain
Su 7.6.
14/15°
overcast
Mo 8.6.
13/15°

České Budějovice town tour
- Southeast part of the town centre

Dr. Stejskal Street will lead us to the square, but soon we will go right along Široká Street. Let‘s first have a look at the functionalist corner building of the Brouk and Babka department store. It‘s a work by local architect Karel Chochola. When it was opened in 1935 it was the largest department store in South Bohemia.

Senovážné Square

České Budějovice - The Church of the Holy Family by the Episcopal Grammar School in Senovážné Square, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Široká Street will lead us to the Episcopal Grammar School located in several buildings of a former orphanage. The neo-Gothic Church of St. Family, which was finished in 1888, is adjacent to the compound of buildings. The Episcopal Grammar School forms a side of the large Senovážné Square. Its dominant feature is the ostentatious South Bohemian Museum built in the new-Renaissance style from 1898 to 1901. If you feel like it you can visit one of the thematic exhibitions or see the remarkable permanent exhibition devoted to the town‘s history and the natural environment of South Bohemia.

You can‘t miss the Metropol House of Culture, which is the largest cultural compound in the Region of South Bohemia and was built from 1967 to 1971. It is separated from Senovážné Square by a busy road called Na Sadech.

Passing by the Episcopal Grammar School we can reach the post office building. In front of the post office there is an interesting element of minor architecture of České Budějovice - a meteorological column. It was built at the expense of the local Beauty Society in 1925.

Concert hall of Otakar Jeremiáš

České Budějovice - The Church of St. Anne, where locals go to hear classical music, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Now let‘s take Karla IV Street and head back to the square, but turning right on Kněžská Street. Here on the left we can see the former brewery and opposite it on the right there is a house called U Smetanů dating back to 1914. Let‘s continue walking along Kněžská Street and soon we will pass the Church of St. Anne. It was built at the beginning of the 17th century as part of the Capuchin Convent, which was abolished in 1784 by Joseph II. Thanks to its great acoustics the church has been used as a concert hall for more than 200 listeners since 1988. The hall is named after composer Otakar Jeremiáš (1892-1962).

Chapel of Mortal Agony

After a while Kněžská Street will take us to the crossing with Kanovnická Street. And now we are back at a spot that should be familiar: the Baroque Church of St. Nicholas. But this time we will also visit the Chapel of Mortal Agony standing by the church or rather just behind its presbytery (choir). It was built from 1727 to 1731, but was shut down in 1785. Bishop Jan Valerián Jirsík (1798-1883) had it restored. A bronze statue representing Jirsík by J. V. Myslbek (the only work by Myslbek in South Bohemia) stands by the foot of the Black Tower.

Under the chapel there is a charnel-house, which was walled up. In Kanovnická Street we can take a look at the glass front of the U Sadovských Department Store: another fine example of functionalism. From the cathedral of St. Nicholas let‘s go back to the Square of Přemysl Otakar II, which completes our tour of the most significant sights in the centre of České Budějovice.