overcast
Mo 17.12.
-1/1°
cloudy
Tu 18.12.
-1/3°
overcast
We 19.12.
0/0°

Tips for trips - around the town of České Budějovice

Not only the centre of the town but also other suburbs and villages in its vicinity are worth seeing.

In Rožnov, once a market settlement of the house of Rosenberg and present Budějovice quarter, you can see farmsteads with Renaissance granaries with graffiti. Rudolfov, promoted by Emperor Rudolf II to a free mining town, is famous for its Renaissance monuments from the 16th century and for its former silver mining, about which we can get information in the local museum and while walking along the nature trail called “Rudolf’s town”.

České Budějovice is closely connected with the surrounding landscape. The dell where the South Bohemian metropolis is situated is lined from almost all sides with hill ranges. It is closed with the Rudolfov threshold in the south-east and with the dense woods of the Kluk a Kleť hills in the south-west. Only in the north-west direction the Budějovice dell passes to the plain of Hluboká and the Vodňany moorland with numerous ponds. The metropolis situated across the whole width of the basin and mountains farther southwards can be seen by visitors coming to Budějovice from the North. The western view of the city is limited by the Lišov threshold, where you can quite clearly see churches and hills over the Vltava and Malše rivers’ alluvial plain. The bird’s eye view shows the broad surroundings of the regional city as a flat depression of the South Bohemian basins surrounded by the undulating foothills of the Šumava hilly region and Tábor Hills.

Trips around the town of České Budějovice

Vrbno Ponds

Distance from České Budějovice: 1 km NW | GPS: 49°0'23.191"N, 14°25'50.647"E
Nature reserves at the north-east edge of the town. Four ponds (Domin, Černiš, Starý Vrbenský and Nový Vrbenský) started to be constructed as early as in 1460. It is a significant ornitologic, entomologic and botanic locality and a nesting site of many kinds of birds. You can take a nature trail along the pond dam.

Hluboká nad Vltavou

Distance from České Budějovice: 10 km N | GPS: 49°3'2.203"N, 14°26'31.402"E
Hluboká nad Vltavou Chateau, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A town with 4,000 inhabitants situated approximately 10 km north of České Budějovice. On a hill over the town there is a New-Gothic chateau, which is highly visible from far. It is one of the most frequented sights in Bohemia. This strategically significant place was inhabited as early as the 13th century, when an Early-Gothic stronghold was founded here, which was later turned into a castle. In the middle of the 16th century the castle was rebuilt in the Renaissance style and at the beginning of the 18th century in the Baroque style. The castle underwent a significant building change from 1840 to 1971, when the Schwarzenberg family reconstructed it in the style of the so-called Tudor Revival. They were inspired by the English noble mansion of Windsor.

Ohrada Chateau, ZOO Hluboká

Distance from České Budějovice: 9 km N | GPS: 49°2'30.760"N, 14°25'19.056"E
ZOO Hluboká, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A Baroque hunting chateau not far from Hluboká, built by the Schwarzenberg family from 1708 to 1713. The castle houses expositions of the Museum of Forestry, Hunting and Fishing. Nearby on the banks of the Munický Pond there is a small zoo focussing especially on breeding European fauna. But it also features many exotic species. The Ohrada Zoo is a perfect destination for families with children.

Purkarec

Distance from České Budějovice: 20 km N | GPS: 49°7'36.684"N, 14°27'10.956"E
The Museum of Rafting - the Purkarec Hall of Raft Shipping, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A village north of Hluboká on the banks of the Hněvkovická Dam. While the dam was being filled with water, part of Purkarec got flooded and had to be demolished. There is a new ferry across the Vltava; the Museum of Rafting - the Hall of Raft Shipping Purkarec reminds us of the times of raft shipping.


Karlův hrádek

Distance from České Budějovice: 18 km N | GPS: 49°6'43.531"N, 14°27'29.902"E
The former hunting castle of Charles IV is today a romantic ruin on the left bank of the Vltava, 2 km south of the village of Purkarec. Note It is accessible by following the red-marked trail from the Hluboká-Zámostí railway stop.

Dobrá Voda u Českých Budějovic

Distance from České Budějovice: 5 km E | GPS: 48°58'3.131"N, 14°31'43.193"E
The Pilgrimage Church of the Virgin of the Sorrows in Dobrá Voda u Českých Budějovic is considered the most significant Baroque church building in South Bohemia, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A village 4 km east of České Budějovice. It is famous for the Baroque pilgrimage Church of the Virgin of the Sorrows, which was built according to a design by Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer (1689-1751). Its interior decoration is valuable too. The frescoes were made by painter Václav Vavřinec Reiner (1689-1743).

Rudolfov

Distance from České Budějovice: 6 km NE | GPS: 48°59'36.743"N, 14°32'28.472"E
Rudolfov - Originally a royal mining town, 5 km east of České Budějovice, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
Originally a royal mining town, 5 km east of České Budějovice. In the past it was a site of silver ore mining, which achieved its greatest boom in the middle of the 16th century.



Hosín

Distance from České Budějovice: 9 km N | GPS: 49°2'12.573"N, 14°28'32.238"E
The Church of St. Peter and Paul in Hosín includes the apse of the original Romanesque church, which is the oldest building in the Region of České Budějovice, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A village at an elevated site 7 km north of České Budějovice, the first written mention of which dates back to 1262. Its dominant feature is the New-Gothic Church of St. Peter and Paul, which is highly visible from far and which was built in 1899-1900. The area has several nice examples of Rural Folk Baroque. Close to Hosín is the sports airport of the Aviation Club of České Budějovice.

Holašovice

Distance from České Budějovice: 15 km W | GPS: 48°58'11.755"N, 14°16'22.304"E
Holašovice - Due to its compactness and purity of style, this unique set of homesteads was inscribed in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List in 1998, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A village approximately 15 km west of České Budějovice, which was probably established as early as the middle of the 13th century. Its large square (210 × 70 m) is surrounded by houses and homesteads that were built in the style of South-Bohemian Rural Baroque. Most of them date back to about the third quarter of the 19th century. Due to its compactness and purity of style, this unique set of homesteads was inscribed in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List in 1998.

Boršov nad Vltavou

Distance from České Budějovice: 6 km S | GPS: 48°55'18.707"N, 14°26'3.201"E
Boršov nad Vltavou - The Zátka Brothers pasta factory, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A small village approximately 5 km south- -west of České Budějovice on the left bank of the Vltava, a frequent destination and final station of canoeists. The first mention of the village dates back to 1261. It boasts the Church of St. Jacob Major, which was mentioned as early as 1290 and which was reconstructed in the Gothic style at the end of the 15th century. There is also the pasta factory of the Zátka Brothers, which has been operating here since 1884 and which used to be the largest factory in all of Austria-Hungary.

Zlatá Koruna (Golden Crown)

Distance from České Budějovice: 20 km S | GPS: 48°51'18.957"N, 14°22'11.462"E
Zlatá Koruna (the Golden Crown), a compound of the former Cistercian convent buildings in the top right, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
A village north-east of Český Krumlov and a popular stop for canoeists. Its original name was Svatá Trnová Koruna (Holy Crown of Thorns). It is well-known due to a Cistercian convent, which was founded by King Přemysl Otakar II in 1263 (earlier than České Budějovice). Nowadays the convent is among the most significant Gothic sights in South Bohemia.

Dívčí kámen

Distance from České Budějovice: 20 km S | GPS: 48°53'20.995"N, 14°21'26.466"E
Dívčí kámen - one of the largest castle ruins in Bohemia, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
Also called Maidstein, Divči kamen is a romantic ruin. It is situated on a high rock over the confluence of the Vltava River and the Křemež Creek. It was founded by the Rožmberk family in 1349, but they abandoned the castle as early as 1506, which gradually led it to fall into ruin. Not far from this popular tourist destination by Třísov there is a Celtic oppidum, which was probably founded in the 2nd century B.C.

Kleť (1,084 metres above sea level)

Distance from České Budějovice: 21 km S | GPS: 48°51'55.295"N, 14°16'59.786"E
Television transmission tower and stone watchtower from 1825 at the top of Kleť, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.
The highest peak of the Blanský Forest, a natural dominant feature of the region. Its unmistakable silhouette is graced by a 173-metre high television transmission tower. At the peak there is the oldest stone watchtower in Bohemia (1825), a tourist chalet with a restaurant, and a little lower down the highest-situated observatory in the Czech Republic. When the weather is favourable, you can see the Alps, which are 150 km away.
Note: Kleť is accessible by means of a chairlift from Krásetín (close to the railway station on the České Budějovice - Český Krumlov line).